Here are some tips for getting the most out of your juice cleanse:
- Ease into it with a pre-cleanse diet
- Take nourishing spa detox salt baths
- Exercise (low impact) to release more toxins through perspiration
- Exfoliate by dry brushing your skin before exercise or showering
- Help everything move along with a massage
- After the cleanse slowly add solid foods by following a post cleanse diet
Types of food to avoid and what you should eat before & after your cleanse.
Processed Food, Drinks and Snacks
- Cut anything containing preservatives, stabilizers, colorings, flavorings and other additives.
- Try organic carrots, celery and apples.
- Eliminate coffee, black tea and energy drinks.
- Try light green or herbal teas.
- No milk, cheese, yogurt or ice cream.
- Try bananas and avocados provide the same creamy texture you crave
- Not a crumb of wheat bread, bagels, pasta, crackers or cookies.
- Try quinoa and fill the void with plenty of fresh produce.
- Avoid sugary treats, products and sugar itself.
- Choose a few pieces of ripe fresh fruit to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Eliminate red meat, and deli meats.
- Have organic chicken, turkey and cooked fish if you want lean protein.
- No ketchup, sauces and flavorings from bottles.
- Use spices and fresh herbs for an extra kick.
Processed Cooking Oils
- Avoid fried, greasy and oil-filled dishes.
- Use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and other nut oils for flavor on your salads.
- Eliminate them entirely.
- Eliminate to give your body a break from dealing with potential chemical traces and parasites.
- Eliminate peanuts and peanut butter, they can have a toxic effect.
- Substitute almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, coconut and organic nut butters.
- Make sure you drink LOTS of water throughout the day. At least 2 liters should help you stay 'regular'.
- You want to try and keep your digestive system moving, so if you’re having a little trouble, it’s a good idea to either take a probiotic supplement, or have a tablespoon of castor oil before bed.
Days 1 to 5 after the cleanse.
Be gentle on your system. Here are some suggestions on what to eat on days 1-5 after your juice cleanse:
1. Keep it raw.
- Eat raw fruits, raw (or lightly steamed) vegetables (mostly greens), and seeds.
2. Take it slow.
- Stick to fresh squeezed juice, cucumber, celery, avocado or vegetable broth. Continue to hydrate with water and herbal teas.
3. Light starch, please.
- Now you can add salads (more raw than cooked) and small portions of brown rice or starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes.
4. Reintroduce lean meats and fish.
- Start with very small portions of animal protein and a salad with seeds.
5. Now you can eat anything and everything you want in moderation.
- Be careful with the quantities as your eating habits have changed and your stomach size has shrunk, don’t overload it.